My friend just bought a new home and loved the extra space she had to fit all of her junk and her three kids. The thing that she loved the most about it was the basement. Though it wasn’t finished she saw the potential in it. In the near future it would become a toy room or a place for her exercise equipment.
What she did not foresee was the amount of mold that basement would have. She did not think to have it inspected before the house was bought and only realized there was a problem when she went to store boxes inside of it. In a corner of the room she saw something black and fuzzy covering a portion of the wall.
The only thing she could do from there was to call a professional to come out and assess the problem and decide on the next best course of action. That one little patch was nothing to handle. However, the mold had extended to most of the walls and ceiling and boxes left behind by the previous owners.
The problem with something like this is that if left unchecked it will grow quickly and it can seriously damage your health including that of children. The only action to take was to hire someone to remove it all. This would cost hundreds and they would spend even more money to fix the leaks that had caused it in the first place.
A year later the mold smell is gone and the new workout room looks great. However, I have learned a valuable lesson from my friend who will never underestimate the power of a good inspection. These can make the difference in how much you spend on a home and your overall decision to buy one and to save money.