Home canning is a great way to save money and to experiment with your cooking. It allows you to use home grown vegetables and fruits to make your own jams, sauces, and even pickles and can them in a special jar. When you water can them you are sealing them to be air tight and allowing them to last for weeks or even months on end.
This allows you and your family to eat these delicious foods throughout the year and to help save you money. It is especially great to have during those winters when you might be snowed in for a few days and need something good to eat that doesn’t need to be cooked.
Before you are able to can the food you must first sterilize the jars and lids that they are being placed inside of. This is an easy process that requires you to use brand new jars and lids each time that you are water canning food. The lids especially have to be new because they are not reusable once they have been opened. Make sure that you sterilize when you are ready to can so that they will stay clean and ready to be used at once.
- The first thing you will need to do is wash all of the jars and lids in hot, soapy water.
- Then boil hot water in a large and deep pot on top of the stove.
- Once it begins to boil you will need to use tongs to place all of the jars and lids inside of the water. Leave them in there for five minutes and allow the water to sterilize them and remove any bacteria or germs.
- After five minutes you will need to use the tongs to pull them all out and place them on a paper towel. Let them air dry before you put the food inside.
- Make sure that you repeat this process every time that you are canning anything new.